Try this great salad with a meal or as a meal all by itself.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup dry bulgur
- 1 medium cucumber, diced
- 1/2 of a 16 ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh mint
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (1/2 cup)
Bring the water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Add the bulgur, reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 12 minutes or until most of the water has been absorbed.
Meanwhile, combine the remaining ingredients, except the cheese in a large bowl.
Drain the bulgur in a fine mesh sieve and run under cold water to cool quickly. Shake off excess liquid and add to the cucumber mixture. Stir until well blended. Add the cheese and stir until just blended. Let stand 10 minutes to absorb flavours.
Makes 6 cups total.
Serves 4; 1 1/2 cups per serving
Cook’s Tip: It’s important to use a fine mesh sieve, otherwise the bulgur will slip through the larger holes of a colander or strainer.