We are always looking for easy, quick, healthy recipes and ideas, especially for breakfast. So many of us are on the run in the morning and it’s good to have some ‘grab and go’ ideas for those days. This summer ‘porridge’ is great whether or not you have to run – using a jar makes it really easy to take along if need be.
Summer Porridge: (adapted from theyummylife.com). It’s so easy to make this recipe up the night before and easy to vary the ingredients according to your taste and what you have on hand. Frozen berries keep it cold and fresh, if you’re taking it on the go and don’t have access to a fridge.
- 1/4 cup uncooked old fashioned rolled oats (or barley)
- 1/3 cup low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried chia seeds (you could substitute flax seed)
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup (or honey, more or less to taste)
- 1/4 cup blueberries (or your favourite fresh or frozen fruit, enough to fill jar)